Net foreign investment records the highest number in the history of the market..and the market value exceeds 1.6 trillion dirhams

Historic performance of the Abu Dhabi Stock Exchange in 2021... and 1.5 trillion dirhams, the value of shares owned by citizens

The Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange achieved a historical performance during the year 2021, recording a more than fivefold increase in the trading values ​​witnessed by the market, amid the momentum of new listings and increased demand from international investors, according to a report published by the Abu Dhabi Government Media Office.


Trading values

The trading value (buying and selling), witnessed by the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange, increased by 409% to reach 739 billion dirhams in 2021, compared to 145 billion dirhams in 2020, driven by the increasing appetite of local and international investors to invest in the market.

The percentage of local investors owning 70% of the trading value in the market, while the remaining 30% were deals by foreign institutional investors.


net investment

The year 2021 also witnessed the arrival of net foreign investment to 15 billion dirhams, which is the highest number recorded in the history of the market, and the market value of shares owned by foreign investors in 2021 increased by 100%, with a value of 156 billion dirhams, compared to 78 billion dirhams in 2020.

In turn, the value of shares held by UAE nationals amounted to 1.5 trillion dirhams, compared to 685 billion dirhams in 2021, an increase of 119%.


number of investors

Similarly, the market recorded an increase in the number of registered investors in the stock exchange by 701%, reaching 18,938 investors in 2021, compared to 2,362 investors in 2020. At the same time, the number of new investment institutions increased by 77%, reaching 708 investment institutions. new compared to 400 establishments during the year 2020.


Best Indicators

The increasing demand witnessed by the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange helped raise its general index by 64%, making it one of the best performing stock indices in the world during 2021.

Meanwhile, the market value of shares listed on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange more than doubled, reaching a record level of more than 1.6 trillion dirhams.


ADX One strategy

The launch of the "ADX One" strategy, which was announced in early 2021, came to support the success of the market.

The strategy includes 22 initiatives aimed at strengthening corporate governance and meeting the growing needs of issuers and investors around the world.

As part of the strategy, Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange launched a derivatives market during the last quarter of the year, paving the way for an agreement with the FTSE Russell Group to develop co-branded indices such as the FTSE ADX Blue Chip tradable index of large cap stocks, which It will be launched during 2022.

The market also adopted the first regulatory framework for listing companies established for acquisition and merger purposes, which was approved by the Securities and Commodities Authority last January.


global partnerships

As part of the "ADX One" strategy, the market concluded several partnerships with international financial markets during 2021, including the Bahrain Stock Exchange, the Istanbul Stock Exchange, and the Astana Stock Exchange, to explore opportunities for direct access to markets and enhance cooperation frameworks through the exchange of information.


Inclusions 2021

The historical performance of the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange during 2021 is one of the fruits of its tireless efforts to attract issuers to the “main” and “second” market platforms, as the market witnessed the listing of nine companies, including “ADNOC Drilling”, the largest initial public offering in the history of the market;

the “Alpha Abu Dhabi Company” for real estate and construction owned by the International Holding Company;

Yahsat Satellite Communications Company, owned by Mubadala Investment Company (Mubadala), and Fertiglobe Company.

The market also witnessed the listing of six debt instruments and one ETF during 2021;

This raises the number of companies listed on the market to 69, debt instruments to 27, and private companies to 13 private companies, in addition to two investment traded funds.

Follow our latest local and sports news and the latest political and economic developments via Google news

Keywords: