Erik ten Hag plans to finish a joint training with Ajax via a video call soon. The trainer wants to deal as creatively as possible with the complex situation surrounding the corona virus.
"I have already seen it elsewhere. We would like to do a training together with all players. It may not be football, but for example cycling," says Ten Hag on the Ajax website.
"We have to find our way around this. We have given our players from the beginning a program, supplements and facilities in the form of a bicycle, so that they can continue to train. Yet you miss the mutual contact."
During this time, Ten Hag takes extra care of the foreign Ajax players. "For the Dutch players, their family is often close by, although we cannot have physical contact either. But it certainly feels closer. For the foreign players, it is literally an isolation."
Veltman is making good progress
Of the injured Ajax players, Joël Veltman is in the best shape according to Ten Hag. The defender has a serious knee injury and is in the final phase of his recovery.
"He was able to train well and if we can start group training again, I expect that he can start again. With David Neres and Noussair Mazraoui we have to wait and see."
Ten Hag is very much looking forward to the moment when he can train on the field again with Ajax. "The players crave it, I notice that. But it is the way it is, we will have to accept it."
Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in our live blog .
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.