Teuvo Hakkarainen, 59, a Finnish MEP, is engaged to a young Honduran woman. The engagement is confirmed by the evening announcements by Hakkarainen's freshly betrothed Stephanie Orantes, 30. Seiska was the first to tell the happy news.
- We got engaged in December. We are currently in Honduras, says Orantes by telephone at a local hotel.
The woman describes dating the couple as a "long story".
- We met through his Honduran friend.
Orantes says he intends to move to Finland in the future. However, it is not yet time.
- We haven't yet set up a wedding day, Orantes laughs.
Ilta-Sanomat asked Hakkarainen's fresh bride what kind of man Teuvo is.
- You have a lot of questions ... he's a very special man, Orantes describes.
Do you want kids with Teuvo?
- Sure. I'm going to marry him.
Is she your first husband?
- Of course it is.
After five minutes Orantes politely terminates the call.
Hakkarainen from Viitasaari has visited Honduras in Central America several times.
Before joining politics, Hakkarainen has worked as a sawmill in the country. He has been to Honduras and other Central American countries to consult sawmill start-ups and train staff.
Ilta-Sanomat did not reach Hakkari to comment on the engagement.
Teuvo Hakkarainen and Stephanie Orantes.
Photo: Sakari Linden