Due to the corona crisis, the need to allow Schiphol to grow further than the number of flight movements that has now been recorded, from 500,000 to the end of this year, has been removed. "It is evident that there is no longer any need for this year and I don't think for 2021 either," said Pieter Elbers, KLM's CEO.
He also thinks that the number of times KLM flies to certain destinations may decrease after the corona crisis. "After the crisis, we need to determine what the size of the fleet should be and how we should use it. We could use fewer frequencies and still maintain connections between Schiphol and the rest of the world."
Now that it was announced on Tuesday that the corona measures in the Netherlands will remain in force at least until the end of April, the recovery will take longer, the KLM CEO expects. "The recovery is also accompanied by many questions. But aviation will not be out of trouble after three months and I don't expect it after six months," said Elbers.
He does think that KLM is in relatively good shape. "We've made the company much more robust over the past five years, giving us - with the help of government help - a better starting position to face this storm." Likewise, according to Elbers, no airline can cope with a crisis of this magnitude without aid.
Follow the latest developments around the virus in our live blog.
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.